Thursday, March 08, 2018

Almost

Almost Spring -- after an unintentional hiatus, driven by the flurry of holiday bustle (so much sewing!) and the reality of life with four littles (we've had three birthdays since my last post), I'm feeling the itch to revisit this little space. I think I'd have been back sooner, if there wasn't a feeling of where to start? Or re-start, rather!




But perhaps it's the perfect time to restart, just as the world around me is doing the same. Camellias and daffodils, always the earliest bloomers here, are in a profusion of glory. Flowering trees are abundant, too. We've started walking at a nearby trail that I've rarely explored in the past. A variety of circumstances led me to try it out, and it's been lovely! A paved path meanders around a lake, with little side trails now and then that meet up with the path later on -- perfect for adventurous (or timid!) littles to practice some independence.




If we've brought a book, we'll cozy up on one of the benches and read aloud. Scout takes it all in with his round, blue eyes as his older siblings scamper about. Laddie's usually lagging behind a bit (short little legs!), but his expanding vocabulary makes him quite an amusing companion.




And the trip is not complete without a visit to some of the lake's reptilian inhabitants! A few invariably slip off to the safety of the water when we approach, but the rest are remarkably still. Even when my children are lobbing sweet gum pods at them...




I have such a backlog of sewing projects to share that I'll probably have to pick the highlights to share over my next posts. I never feel like I have much time to sew, but when I look back I realize that I've managed to finish quite a few projects over the past few months. I think that's more to do with years of experience increasing my speed than my having hours of leisure time! We've managed to (finally) complete a few furniture projects around the house, which I hope to share, too.

But now I'm off to mediate between some bickering hens. As if I needed more creatures to "mother!"



8 comments:

  1. It great to see you back! :D Can't wait to see your furniture and sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne-Julie! It's good to be back. :-)

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Dear Shannon, its great to "have" you back! I had been wondering how you and your family were doing.
    The photos are beautiful, I can almost smell the flowers and feel the air. It seems you are enjoying the good weather, and I´m sure your kids are, too. These last few weeks it has been raining almost non stop in Madrid, where I live, and I think my kids need more sun and looooong days at the playground.
    I can´t wait to see your sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elena,

      Aww, thanks! We are certainly appreciating the weather -- though, if it's any comfort, we've had days and weeks of (seemingly) nothing but rain. My kids need to get to a playground, too, but it seems we can't get more than one or two sunny days in a row -- not enough time for the parks to dry out! There is sun today, though!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  3. Shannon,

    I was so happy to see a new post from you! This was truly a treat. We are still in the thick of winter. : ) The picture of the turtles is absolutely precious!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Sarah! Hopefully you'll be getting some spring weather soon -- though I guess it's not actually spring yet, is it? Back in February we had a few days in the 80's; it was so strange having the air conditioning come on in the middle of winter!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  4. Welcome back Shannon! It is good to catch up on all your projects and news on the littles x have missed you, but can see you have been very busy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AnnaB! I've missed this creative outlet -- I think it helps me look for beauty in ordinary life when I'm on the lookout for "blog fodder." ;-)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!